Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Quickest Way from Point A to B is via a Bike Lane

This post is long overdue, but several days ago I made a maiden ride on one of Indianapolis’ new bike lanes. Yes, I commute almost every day, but usually I use greenways. These take but longer but I like the miles and the scenery is better. Plus there are usually (note I said usually…there is another post there) no automobiles flying down the middle of the greenways without reckless abandon. Despite the apparent risk to life and limb, the bike lines are a efficient way to ride downtown.


First a bit of background. Indianapolis has been undergoing a cycling renaissance of late. Over 50 miles of bike lanes have been installed thanks to the advocacy efforts of IndyCog and a mayor who is extremely bike friendly, with a total of 200 planned in the next 12 years. Additionally, the Cultural Trial, a paved multi-use trail has been built throughout downtown, enabling one to ride all over down town, up Massachusetts Avenue, down to Fountain Square and into IUPUI on a designated bike and pedestrian path.  Overall Indianapolis is far more bike friendly than it was even just four years ago when my wife and I purchased our house near Butler University.
Not surprisingly, there have been some issues with drivers complaining about the new lanes. Frankly, I can see their point, having driven many of the same roads. On several roads the lanes were shoehorned into the street and the driving lanes were shifted over. On Capital Avenue, which runs from near our house straight into downtown, this makes the far left lane quite narrow and very close to the left side parking lane. This of course makes people in that lane naturally drift over into the right driving lanes to, which in turn makes those in the right lane use the bike lanes. Kind of a cascade effect which I imagine could end badly if a cyclist was in the lane. Of course, sometimes, even when there is no traffic in the adjacent lane, people will still be driving with half of their cars in the bike lane. Not exactly a confidence inspiring sight.
I took Capital Avenue downtown and I am happy to say, the commute went extremely well. My route was a straight shot downtown, where I then turned onto the Cultural Trial which has an access point right by to my office. No honks from cars, no encroaching vehicles. Total ride time was 17 minutes. Something else I didn’t expect was how hard I would ride downtown. I figured I would take an easy, calm pace. However, I found myself pushing hard to keep up with traffic. Unfortunately, my legs can’t compete with the internal combustion engine.

Bottom line, give the bike lanes a try. The city is demonstrating an exciting burst of progressive thinking with their emphasis on cycling. Utilizing the bike lanes will validate the investment made in this infrastructure device and help drivers become more accustomed to cyclist on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment