Saturday, March 9, 2013

Ye Olde Stomping Grounds

I first got into cycling seriously while in college at IU in Bloomington Indiana. I somehow got involved with my dorm’s Little 500 team, and although we were not on the lead the lap at the end of the 2002 race (actually very, very, far from the lead lap), we had fun, and I continued to cycle despite missing the 2003 and 2004 races due to a medical issue.  
Anyway, during the time I was riding in Bloomington I became very well acquainted with the various routes around town and the surrounding countryside. Good times all around and great training, but I have not touched these roads since 2003.  This weekend changed that. My wife and I traveled  to our Bloomington condo (a.k.a my sister’s apartment while she is on spring break) to spend a weekend reliving our college days. While she shopped I did my training ride around Bloomington via some routes I rode 10 years ago.
And I will say, I remember the hills being a bit smaller. Of course, last time I was on these roads I was riding a Giant road bike (not my mountain bike with cross tires!), weighed 30 pounds less, and was 10 years younger. Ah well. The ride was still a great time and I was able to conquer an old nemesis, the Boultinghouse Road hill.
The hill actually bends to the left at the top, thereby extending the torture a bit more.
It is not the longest hill in the area, but it is steep and it stymied me more than once in college. Looking up at it from the bottom was still intimidating.  While I was slow, I did knock it down.
 
One surprise on the ride was the status of Griffey Lake, a small reservoir north of Bloomington that once provided water for the city. Now it is a park area surrounded by a few nice hills. However, I had heard the reservoir was drained for repairs to the dam, but seeing it empty was still a surprise. I took a side trip up a steep climb to an overlook by the dam itself:
Kind of eerie looking. (apologies for the crappy photo stitching job)
Overall it was a nice, tough ride. The hills hit me hard, but it was a perfect lead up to the BR.
Lastly, I hope the Sub 9 Death March went well for all participants. The weather seemed perfect although I’m betting Combs Road was a bit wet, and therefore, that much more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment