Thursday, March 20, 2014

Barry Roubaix 2014 Preview


Like last year, I am again heading north for the 2014 edition of the Barry Roubaix in Hastings, Michigan. Billed as the world’s largest gravel road race, or a “killer” gravel race, the name is a bit of a misnomer, at least in my opinion. The roads are mostly packed dirt, and the gravel is at a minimum. Definitely not Gravel Grovel level of gravel, at least on the 36 mile course.
Anyway, the course remains the same as last year. Due to excessive ice and snow during the winter which just won’t end, the sections of the seasonal Sager and Shaw Roads have been rerouted like last year. I was looking forward to tackling these sections since videos of these stretches seemed pretty exciting on video (around 35 seconds in).

But, with the same course, goal setting becomes easier. Last year I came in with a 2:03. My goal this year is sub 2 hours. To that end, I have typed out time check goals for certain points on the course which will be taped to my handlebar. I think the times are doable, especially if the amount of ice is reduced from last year:
Intersection with Gun Lake: 38 mins
Right turn on Mullen Rd: 1:04
The Wall Climb: 1:25
Highway 43: 1:35

Conditions are presently hard to judge. Photos and reports of the course are showing mostly clear roads with sections of packed dirt and some mud. However, complicating this is a mix of rain/snow that is predicted for Friday and some flurries for Saturday.
I picked up a pair of 700 x 40 studded tires just in case of ice, but I’m thinking they won’t be needed. However, I’m taking them with me just in case a last, minute change is needed. Otherwise, the bike is the same as last year. It seemed to have survived the Death March pretty well, except the rear hub needed to be cleaned and repacked.  However, this will likely be the last race on the Access XCL 29er. Once the BR is done I am building up my new race bike centered upon an Orbea Alma 29 frame. The Access may still get the nod for a few commutes but it will be retired in terms of mountain bike races. Might even sell it...
So, off to Michigan we go. Hoping it will be a fun ride and everyone stays safe. Just make sure those water bottle cages are nice and tight!
Oh yeah, and I joined a team, DRT Racing. My team clothing has not arrived yet but the team organizer provided me a loaner vest for the race. It is a size medium, which is......a little snug. The large I ordered would have fit better, but this will work for this race!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment