Tuesday, December 30, 2014

So Global Fatbike Day Was A Thing

Yeah, this is late, but aside from the racing that closed out the year, I have taken some time for less competitive events, such as Global Fatbike Day on December 6 2014. I was unaware such a holiday existed until I received an invite to join a local fat bike group on Facebook (they spotted another pic of me online riding my Pugsley). Well, turns out there are a fair number of people in Indiana and especially in the Indy Metro area with fatbikes. And I soon was invited to Indy’s Global Fatbike   Day ride.

The plan was to meet at Ft Ben at 10 am and either ride the trails or the paved Fall cCeek trail downtown if the trails were too wet. The week prior to the ride had been full of rain storms so the trails were out. I chose to ride to the park  to get some miles in and immediately started things off badly by crashing on the Fall Creek Trail underpass of 56th street. The board walk under the the road is old and gets very slimy and slick when wet. I've navigated this many times but I was running a bit late (thanks to large sections of the greenway which were under water from the rain) and took a hard left on the board walk too fast and BOOM, down I went. I was a bit dazed afterwards and my left hip had taken a hit but I picked myself up and soldiered onward.

A group of about 15 gathered at Fort Ben and we headed out on the Fall Creek Trail to head downtown. Enroute, we gathered up several other riders and had ultimately had roughly 20 riders.  The greenway was an adventure as 20 riders tried to find the most inventive routes through the water and mud and took the trail all the way to its termination just north of downtown.
 
 
We then hit Pennsylvania Street all the way downtown to Monument Circle for a quick photo.



Afterwards we hit Tomlinson Tap Room for a beer (and two large pieces of pizza for me) before I had to head out due to a prior engagement. Riding home along the greenways and into the wind was a lot less fun than riding in a pack of fatbikes, but after struggling along, I made it home to conclude a great ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment