Friday, July 13, 2012

The Pleasant Commute

After a few weeks of 100 degree temperatures the weather finally became cool enough that I decided to resume my bike commuting. Normally weather doesn’t bug me, as I have ridden in rain, sleet and snow over the past few years. However, when the heat becomes so oppressive as it has been lately I retreat to the car. Often during the summer I will have my wife drop me and the bike off in the morning if the weather is too warm, as the shower facilities  at work are presently unavailable, and I would like to avoid the covered in sweat look.
This week the weather has broken allowing me to ride in and home from work. My route into work is usually  to cut over from my house by Butler University to the Monon Trail and taking this downtown to the Cultural Trial which runs by my office. Here is a shot of the Monon just before I cross Fall Creek Parkway and Fall Creek proper. If you squint you can see one of  my fellow commuters in the distance. Or it could be a jogger.
I typically ride my commuter bike, a Fuji Absolute 3.0 with fenders and a rear rack for panniers when I commute. This has been a decent bike although the wheels are terribly weak and the rack is being held on with a zip tie on the left since the eyelet for the lower rack mount got stripped out. I think this winter might be a good time to sell this bike and build up a commuter based on a mountain bike frame. Hopefully that would be made of sterner stuff.
However, if I need some MTB saddle time, I will take my mountain bike and ride via the Tow Path, as this route consists of a crushed limestone trail and provides a few opportunities to go off road.
This week traffic continued to be high on the trails. I got used to being absolutely alone on the Monon in the dead of winter, so anytime I need two hands to  count the bikes I see along the way is a momentous occasion.
Next week my wife and I will be on vacation in Vermont for a week. I plan on getting some mountain biking in while also trying my hand at some serious hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment