Saturday, November 3, 2012

New (to me) bike fever

Some may have heard of the formula used to determine the right number of bikes to own: N + 1, where N equals the present number of bikes you presently have.  Well, I have succumbed to the mathematics of bike ownership once again. Two weeks ago I purchased a used full suspension Motobecane Fantom Team frame from ebay.
This was partially the result of giving my wife a new cruiser bike for our anniversary. Before this, she had been trying to make do with my original mountain bike which was a Walmart purchase and was much too small for me. However, even as a Walmart purchase, it was something of an aberration as it included several brand name parts, and the wheels have been very solid (as in never going out of true after a year and a half of hard riding).  Having a surplus of 26 inch parts and the need for a winter project I began to hunt for a used frame on craigslist and ebay. Not only was the Motobecane reasonably priced, but it was also full suspension which I have wanted to try for some time. Some of the decals have been scratched or peeled off, but the frame itself is in good shape.
The Motobecane Fantom Team. Phase one of the Winter Bike Build.
With the frame purchased I have begun gathering other parts. Not top of the line parts, but more mid range new and used parts. If the bike works out, I will upgrade the parts. If not, I have a limited investment and will sell the bike. Still, searching for the parts for a build is one of best parts of building a bike. I like to search online (or in the clearance bin at shops) for good deals on various parts. For this build I already have quite a few parts, including a spare set of Avid BB7 brakes, so that is covered. Same with the saddle and the crank and bottom bracket will come off of the old bike, along with the stem and wheels. I also have a handlebar from another bike.  I purchased a set of take off X-5 shifters along with a new x-5 rear derailleur ($20.00!) from ebay and a Shimano XTR front derailleur from the Hoosier Mountain Bike Association buy/sell forum.  A seat post is a work in progress.
The parts pile thus far. Also have a set of Ergons which will join these parts on the Motobecane.
The old bike has a Rock Shox Dart 1 fork, a low entry level fork. While it works fine, I feel like this fork may not be up to the task for a full suspension bike, so I am toying with the idea of getting a stouter fork off ebay, such as the Rock Shox XC32, the apparent replacement for the venerable Tora, or a used Tora if I happen to run across one. The XC32 is fairly heavy but since this will not be a race bike, it is not a deal breaker for me.
This is supposed to be a winter project something to keep me occupied once the weather grows cold. Therefore, although the parts are being gathered, no work will be done on the bike until after December 15. Just so I am not tempted I have placed the frame out of each reach in the rafters of the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment