Friday, July 22, 2016

DINO Warsaw Really Short Race Report

The 2016 DINO season kicked off like it always does, with a trip to Warsaw for the a race at the Winona Lake Trails. The first race of the DINO calendar was supposed to have been the DINO Tune Up at Town Run. However, that race is cursed and like last year, it was rained out. 

So, back to Warsaw. Last year's race was a muddy affair following overnight rains. THis year was nice. And dry in the lead up to the race day. Aaron and I arrived on Friday night for a pe-ride. Aside from my at first comical and then pitiful inability to negotiate a tight downhill right hand turn, all was well. The course was great and the bike was riding well. 

Of course, overnight some rain came through. Luckily it wasn't that heavy and the course was dry at the start. The start line was interesting. Several Cat 2 Open riders had moved up to Cat 1 after last season. Aaron decided to stay in Open for this race, and I knew there was going to be a tough rider from Richmond named Robbie who had rocketed up from Cat 3 to Cat 2 last year and dominated at each step. Another rider from Richmond named Chris was also there. 

The start was fast and I was 3rd into the woods behind Aaron and Robbie. Chris was behind me as was Bryan. Early in the lap a rider who I did not know came charging forward and city through the top five.  I think he was on a single speed, but whatever he was riding, he was soon chasing the leaders. Aaron ceded the lead to Robbie at some point and he and Chris and I rode together through the field section before Chris made his way past me. 

View from across the creek. Photo: Eric Lewis
The second lap was a game of cat and mouse with Aaron. I kept making contact with him and then losing him again. I didn't have anyone in sight behind me, although that didn't mean no age groupers weren't braiding the gap and catching me. Aaron got a gap just before a straight portion along a creek which led to a bridge to the finish line. He accelerated and I spotted him on the other side of creek as I was coming up to the bridge. Not going to catch him, so I turned my attention towards not getting passed by any age groupers. I spotted one or two behind me and managed to stay ahead of them in real time, although they had closed the gap enough to overtake me in the official results.

Photo: Beth Bragg


I ended up 5th in Open, and 9/78 overall. Generally, I was satisfied with this result. I had hoped to be higher in the Open wave, but the overall was decent. Fitness seemed good, and the bike performed superbly. I could definitely tell a difference with the full suspension. 

Post race attitude. Photo: Dave Tozer

No comments:

Post a Comment