Wednesday, April 3, 2013

First ride on the full suspension MTB = Meh

The recent warm and ice/snow free weather meant I finally dragged my new to me full suspension bike out for a test spin. For a refresher, I recounted my build of this bike in a post back in January.
So, how was the ride?
It was weird.
I’m not sure what it is, but I did not feel comfortable, or very stable on the bike. The steering was very twitchy, which I attributed to the smaller wheels. Also, when I got out of the saddle to pedal, I felt like I was going to fall over the handlebars. Not sure why this is, since the cockpit is actually a bit larger than on my 29ers. I think part of the problem is that I haven’t been on a 26 inch wheel bike since early 2009 and I’m just used to the 29ers. Hopefully these problems will fade with more rides. Oh, and the thing climbs like it has an anvil strapped to the back.
As for the positives, it was fun to take the bike off curbs and down stairways (apologies to the Butler students who  happened to wander into my test course). The suspension felt just fine, although the rear shock may need some tweaking.
Test rides will continue….
In other news, I will be going to Brown County State Park to ride this Saturday. This is the earliest I have ever had an opportunity to ride BCSP since…well, ever. The chaos of life over the past few years has allowed me to get to BCSP all of four times, twice of which were for DINO races. Actually getting there in April puts me ahead of the curve for 2013. Only question is what bike to ride. The Access 29er with the rigid carbon fork or the Monocog with its brand new chain and fork (and same ol’ 32 x 18 gearing)? I’m leaning towards the single speed…

No comments:

Post a Comment