Monday, June 24, 2013

Magic Gear...maybe?

I completed my new single speed build this evening, although I neglected to take a photo of the entire bike. That and a complete build list will be in another post.

For now, I stuck with the same gearing as the Monocog, 32x18. However, I also picked up a new Sram PC1 which I plan to use as my dedicated 32 x 20 chain when I anticipate more climbing. A difference from the Monocog is that instead of a dedicated single speed free wheel, I used a kit to convert one of my back up wheels, a WTB Laserdisc laced to an XT hub. I topped the kit off with a Surly 18T cog.
I plan to pick up a 20T cog at some point as well.

Since I’m using a Sette Razzo 29er frame, I lost the chain tugs and horizontal dropouts on the Monocog. I anticipated needing a chain tensioner. But, when I installed the chain, this is what I saw:
The chain tension actually looked close. I installed the chain tensioner, but it was parallel to the chainstay and wasn’t added much to the tension, but was adding a lot of noise. I removed it and took a spin around the driveway and it seemed to work. Perhaps I’m close to the single speed “magic gear.” I’m planning on a test ride before work tomorrow so we’ll see how it holds up.
Oh, and this bike is light! Makes the Monocog feel like a bus. The only heavy part is the RS Tora. I can neither confirm or deny that I am considering a search for a black and white rigid carbon fork….

2 comments:

  1. Looks like it would work to me!! That would be best if it does. I never did like tensioners.

    I have been thinking about putting my rigid fork back on, but not sure just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked fine on the test ride so I'm going to not use the tensioner for now. The troubling thing was noise and nasty vibration coming from my rear hydro. Worked fine on the Monocog but not on the new bike. If problems continue I might switch them out to some BB7s. I just got a set of Shimano hydros for my geared bike (which has the BB7s) so it would be an easy switch.

    ReplyDelete