Wednesday, July 3, 2013

DINO North Vernon Race Report: Lousy Conditions Abound

I’m beat. This past weekend was a big one in terms of racing, and the weather made it even more entertaining with plenty of sloppy conditions.  The DINO series visited Muscatatuck County Park in North Vernon, Indiana. Muscatatauck only has about 6.5 miles of trail, but the trail packs a punch and is a lot of fun. In addition to the cross country event on Sunday, there was also a shot track race and a downhill race on Saturday, both being the state championships in each of those areas. I planned to race all three events, which makes this a three tier race report

DINO Short Track Race
While other cities have established short track series, Indianapolis is not that lucky. My only mtb short track experience was a few informal races done last year at Town Run. The course at Muscatatuck is about .4 miles long, and uses long grassy and rooty lanes which skirt the edge of the woods, before taking a tight hairpin turn into a part of the actual mountain bike trail. There is a short climb, another portion on the grass/roots, and then more single track before the longest grass lane heading to the finish.  I decided to swap out the Reba for my White Brothers Rock Solid carbon fork, thinking it would work in the short track style of racing.
The Cat 3 wave was the first race, and in addition to all ages riding together, we were joined by the Clydesdales, Women Cat 3, and juniors. It was quite a crowd and I immediately made it my goal to be the first to the hairpin single track. There were a few guys in Cat 3 who I know are faster than me, and I wanted to make sure they were behind me when we hit the trail. I also did not want to get stuck in the starting chaos, or in what I figured would be a passing nightmare.

The horn sounded and I jumped off fairly quickly, but was second to the single track. An older Cat 3 (older being 40-49er) beat me to the punch. However, as soon as we came out of the singletrack I jumped around him and sprinted down the grass lane to take the lead. I pushed myself to keep the lead, and heard that second and third place were just a few second behind me, based on the PA announcements.
I maintained my gap, attacked on the short climb and the straightway, and kept track of 2nd and 3rd from the PA announcements. The gap between us continued to grow and I eventually took the win by 30 seconds. It was exciting and a nice way to start the weekend.
I got a medal for the win! Neat!
Fun side note, the Cat 2 winner was also running a White Brother Rock Solid fork.

DINO Downhill
I brought my full suspension bike with the intention of racing the downhill race. Following the short track, I took a practice run on the Cat 3 course.

Holy crap.
I quickly realized I need to stick to cross country. The downhill run started on the normal cross country trail, but then veered off into a very steep and rocky descent. If you survived this you then came to a series of rock drops. I made it down the initial steep descent but realized the course would not be a fun one. The final section with the rock drops sealed the deal. The Youtube videos I had seen of this course did not do it justice.

I decided I would save my collarbone for the XC race and in the interest of myself preservation I would spectate. I think the knowledge that I had already had a successful day riding in the short track made this decision that much easier. So, I hefted my bike (jeez the FS is heavy) up to the parking lot and rode back to the start line. I loaded up the car, went to McDonalds, got the largest diet coke they had and a cheeseburger and then went back to watch the downhill runs.

After the first few riders I knew I had made a wise decision. The Cat 1 riders went flying through the tech sections, although there were a few wrecks. Lots of people walked the rough sections, but a few who tried to ride paid the price. A Midwest Devo rider (who I think won the Cat 1 short track) crashed on the final drop section and the cracking sound that came from his bike was terrible. He pulled the bike out of the way of the next riders, but he sat at the bottom of the course in a kind of dazed state for several minutes.
A junior rider, whose entire family was racing, came down through the drops and lost it near the end. His head actually hit a tree and he crashed in a heap screaming.  I, and everyone around me, was expecting the worst, namely a spinal or head injury, but it turned out he was screaming about his knee. His parents pulled him off the course and he eventually was walking around fairly well.  

DINO Cross Country Race
The main event of the weekend was Sunday’s cross country race.  The Cat 3 riders would do two laps on the approximately 6 mile loop, which included some newly built trail which had not been ready for racing at last year’s race.
The big question on race day, and all week, was what the weather situation would be. Indiana was stuck in a summer pattern with a threat of thunderstorms each day. This intensified over the week as a low pressure system dropped from Canada and increased these shower chances. Saturday was mostly ok. The trails I saw were fairly solid although some parts of the new trial I prerode had some muddy spots. Overall it was pretty good. However, after the awards ceremony for short track and downhill a very heavy storm came in and dumped on the park. I’d say at least an inch of rain fell. Overnight the park seemed to escape much additional rain and the race would still be a go.  After arriving I scoped out the Cat 1 and 2 bikes. They seemed muddy, but riders were also saying that the trails were improving.

At the start I pushed to get to the trial first to avoid the inevitable wrecks. Instead I was the third one in and things went downhill from there. The upper trail was pretty solid, but I immediately began to slide out on some slick corners. I don’t have a per se mud tire (since I never ride in the mud) so I kept  the Maxxis Aspen on the back. Even with low tire pressure, I was sliding everywhere which allowed 1st and 2nd to get a small gap on me.


Can't tell if I am having fun at this point.
Photo: William L. Snyder
The trail cuts under the park’s road and rides through a creek, which is followed by a short technical climb which was very muddy last year. This year was no different. I ran it, slipping the whole way, with the leaders just ahead of me. Once back on the bike the course rode onto some new trial which I had ridden the day before. All of the sudden, my rear wheel went out from under me in a muddy patch and I fell on my right side. I was fine, save for a few cuts, but just as I was about to remount, I spotted my water bottle sitting in the bushes just off the trail. For a second, I paused and considered whether I should just go, or scramble after it. The nearest racers were still on the muddy climb, and recalling the Logansport race last year I ran and grabbed it.

The rest of the new trail was very muddy, but mostly rideable. I could still see the leaders through the trees, but I wasn’t sure the conditions would allow me to catch up. Unfortunately, about 2/3 of the way through the first lap, the rain started. The trails and roots, already muddy and wet, became more so and things started to get tough. I passed several 19-29ers, but I had lost sight of the leaders in my group.
Around this time I was passed by the 40-49 leader. I have to say I was bummed. At French Lick, no one from the other waves had physically passed me on the course. I rationalized that the conditions were to blame. The good thing was, after riding alone for most of the first lap, I used this rider as a carrot and matched his speed. I stuck with him to the end of the lap and well into the second.  Unfortunately, I lost him in the new trail after the creek crossing. The trail, which had been marginal on the first lap, was terrible with the rain and race traffic. Numerous ravine crossing had turned into momentum killing muddy messes which required scrambling. Several large mud pits on flat sections also ground me to a stop. Conditions continued to deteriorate as the lap continued. About half way through the second lap my rear derailleur began to have issues. Not surprising considering it was encased in muck, but it was skipping and ghost shifting all over the place. To add insult, my rear BB7 began to stick in the locked position. I was at the point that I just wanted to survive and finish this thing. I was caught by the second place 40-49er at this time, although there was no sign of anyone from my age group chasing.


Happy for the 3rd place, but caked in mud.
Apparently someone over my right shoulder
did not appreciate being included in this shot.
 
In the end, I rolled through in 1:22, good for third place in the 30-39 division. Considering the adverse conditions, I felt satisfied with my result, and thought the weekend as a whole went very well. My only disappointment was seeing the overall results. I was 17th, but not only had I been passed by the two 40-49ers, other members of that wave, and even the 50+ wave had beat me due to the staggered start times. Plus, I was 7 minutes behind the 30-39 first and second.  I think I would have to at least partially attribute this to the conditions and mechanical issues, especially since the second place racer only beat me by a minute at French Lick. But who knows.
Now its time to overhaul the bike and prep for this weekend’s race at Brown County. Of course, the rain has continued so whether that race will happen is up in the air.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment