Friday, July 26, 2013

Racing along the Cliff and the Creek: DINO Versailles Race Report

Work demands took priority this week, resulting in a tardy race report. Anyway, this past week was the Versailles DINO race at Versailles State Park.  I seem to be improving since this race saw my second top 10 finish this year and a 3rd place in the age group.

The race went very well. I got a solid start, but was edged out just before the singletrack and was in 5th. Everything went peachy, until I realized on the Cliffside Trail that he rider in front of me was not as fast. The early portion of Cliffside has a few opportunities to pass and I called out to the rider to let me by, but he made no move and I didn’t act quickly enough. Frustration ruled on Cliffside, but as we got to the end of the trail, where it was less “cliffy” I again called out and was ignored. Moving onto Grandview my yells to pass became a little angrier. I also tried to force a pass but nearly hit two rocks and a few trees when the rider continued on his line. By this time the top three riders in my group were disappearing and I had a line forming. Never once did the rider check his six to see if anyone was chasing him. Finally, on an uphill section early in Grandview I pushed my way past on the other rider’s left side. As I passed, he actually swerved into me, but I skirted past.
 
After the pass, I took off like a shot and pushed hard to catch to the top three. I was riding well, despite one close call where my rear tire nearly washed out. Thankfully the Ignitors dug it and I recovered. Within a few minutes I had 3rd place in my sights and got within a few bike lengths. I yo-yo’ed a bit but was always within attacking distance. On a few switchbacks I also spotted second place who was not too far ahead.  As we neared the Creekside trail, the last trail section of the race, we were caught by a 40-49 rider, Dave Tozer with Matthews Bikes, who was absolutely flying.  His riding was very impressive and I stepped aside to let him around, as did the 3rd place rider who actually stopped. As I rolled up on him I gestured to see if he wanted to jump back in, but he told me to go ahead.
Pushing towards the finish. Thanks to Eric Lewis for the only photo I found from the race.
Once pass, I pushed hard to stay on Dave’s wheel, and did for a few minutes until we hit the rocky sections of Creekside. I continued to push hard for the last mile and a half to get a gap on the chasing rider. A few quick checks confirmed he was not within sight. I was hoping I might catch 2nd place, but no dice on that one.
 
Overall, I was happy with the performance.  I felt strong throughout and the bike performed well, although while waiting for the award I found my rear tire had gone flat. Must have picked u a slow leak on Creekside.  If not for the passing issue, I feel confident I would have been able to catch up to the 30-39 leaders. While I was tired at the end of the race, especially after pushing hard the last 1.5 miles, I felt I still had enough in the tank for another lap. Between my recent race results, and my condition post-race, I think an upgrade will be in order for next year, although riding an additional lap will require some balance so that I do not burn myself out over the course of two hours.
 
Interestingly, I spoke to several other riders who also had issues with the rider who was not letting me pass. Unfortunately, one person told me that the rider was actually hearing impaired. I had suspected this after passing him, and felt like an ass for a minute for all the yelling I did in trying to pass.  In retrospect, he didn’t hear all of that, but I’m wishing that the rest if the field had been informed of the situation. I’m not sure what the rules are in this situation (DINO is governed by USA Cycling), but an identifying arm band would have been helpful, although it would have also been nice for the rider to check his six at least once in the first 2 miles before I passed him.
 
Tomorrow is the Planet Adventure night race at Southwestway Park in Indianapolis. I’m racing the new singlespeed since these races have a dedicated singlespeed class.  Should be a fun time if the weather holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment