Friday, December 21, 2012

First snow (and ice) ride of the year




I took Friday off work to celebrate my birthday and to take  my first snow ride of the year. We not snow Thursday night, part of a massive storm which covered the most of the Midwest. Unfortunately, the conditions turned out to be not quite ideal for a ride. The big problem was that prior to the snow the temperatures had been up in the fifties, so a rather sharp drop in the temperature Thursday evening was quickly followed by about two inches of snow. As a result, the ground did not have a chance to freeze before the insulating snow. Come this morning I could tell the ground underneath the snow had not frozen meaning I’d be running into quite a bit of mud. My trip to the Town Run Trail Park on the north side or Fort Ben was out of the question.

Instead I opted for a ride around the Butler University campus and the Central Canal Towpath (a crushed limestone green way that cuts through Indianapolis) on the Monocog. Getting to campus was a trick since all the neighborhood roads were covered in ice. Once on campus, I found some snow, but some of the trails I usually spin around on were only partially covered in snow with lots of mud as a result of the lack of a solid freeze last night. 

The Tow Path is usually perfect for snow riding but someone (either Butler folks or the water company) had plowed the path leaving a crushed limestone mud and ice fest. I didn’t end up in the canal proper, which considering some of the ice pockets I encountered was quite the achievement.

In the end of I rode the perimeter of the university soccer and softball fields which did have a solid layer of snow. No mishaps save for almost endoing into a snow filled drainage ditch as I was cutting across a field. Overall, not exactly the snow ride I wanted, but there is supposed to be a hard freeze tonight. Considering that most of the trails I saw today were almost snow free, or on their way to being snow free, I’m hoping the exposure combined with tonight’s freeze will harden them up for an early morning ride up at Town Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment