Sunday, December 9, 2012

Trader's Point Cross Race Report (Some mud involved)


The night before the final Indiana Cyclocross Series race (and Indiana State Cross Championship) I decided I should probably get my bike back into working order. The Gravel Grovel had been hard on it, the broken spoke, numerous loose and out of adjustment spokes, shifting problems, and multiple creaks. Finding the spoke I had to replace the broken one was not the right width, I was forced to scavenge a spoke from an old set of Little 500 wheels I had in the basement. Seemed to work ok, but that rear wheel was very out of true. I messed with adjusting spokes and got it better, but not great. Still it would work for the race.

Struggling up one of the many hills.
The race was held at a horse farm in an area called Trader's Point on the northwest side of Indianapolis and just outside of Zionsville, Indiana. Friday saw almost nonstop rain which continued overnight so I was expecting mud. Race time weather was supposed to be scattered sunshine with highs in the 50s. In actuality it was overcast with a high in the low to mid 40s. The course started on a short gravel climb and then went to grass for the remainder with rolling terrain, multiple sharp off camber turns and two sections requiring run ups. No barriers for this race. As expected the course was a mud pit. The run ups, while steep were also nothing but pure mud so I was watching the earlier racers struggle to clamber up to the top. My tires. Kenda Kross Supremes, while good for light trail and dry conditions just plain suck for mud. (see Backyard Cross Report) Still, I went with what I had.
I started well enough and was in the  middle of the pack as we hit grass. From there it was a train through the mud with people slipping all over. Not even two minutes in and my tires were caked with mud. Coming out of a tight turn I accelerated to the outside of a group and found myself sliding into the tape course markings and then into a little mud filled divot that I could not get out of. I dismounted and had to run for about twenty feet during which time most of the remaining riders passed me. I remounted and continued to slog my way through. I handled the run ups just fine, as well as a few very muddy off camber turns. However I did crash just past a tent set up by the Shamrock Cycles team. No big deal as people were crashing left and right.
Heading into one of the final turns before the climb to the finish line.
The mud was everywhere and made cornering quite hairy.
The end of the lap was back to the gravel hill which I charged up and passed a few people. The remaining laps went about the same way, including a crash in the exact same spot on the second lap. Not much speed, lots of careful turns, and climbing up the two run ups. I passed several people and kept going back and forth with a guy from Bicycle Outfitters Indianapolis team. I would pass him on a climb and then he would pass me as I picked my way through an off camber turn.
 I finally dropped him on the gravel climb towards the start/finish line on lap three. I did get passed by a guy with a Planet Adventure jersey who I tried to stick to with an eye towards re-passing him later. We were both passed by two of the leading riders on our 4th lap, meaning that would be our last lap. I stayed close to the PA rider and rounding the last grass turn found us on a grassy/muddy straight away leading to the gravel climb to the finish. The PA rider accelerated with me a few feet back. On the hill I was on his wheel but started having shifting problems in the rear and I couldn’t seem to find a gear. (chalk that up to the mud) At the top of hill I pulled around to his right and got my front wheel even with his rear wheel but could not make the pass. As expected I finished in the bottom half of the standings, but overall had a fun time. Like my past cross races, I enjoyed the final two laps much more than the first few. I like the one on one racing that takes place in the later laps when I focus on  beating the riders around me to the line.

Just missed catching the PA rider in the final few hundred feet.

So my first cross season (all three races) concludes. A few thoughts: First, I wish I could use my bar ends. I rely on them so much when riding mtb, and in racing to give me leverage for climbing and for sprinting that I find myself grabbing for them when I need to power out of a turn or sprint.

Second, maybe I will focus on the earlier season races. I like cross but I can’t see myself doing a full season, especially after riding DINO. I see it as more of a fun activity to help develop racing skills. The earlier races are usually drier and would likely favor my mtb focus.

Lastly, my tires. While I like the Kenda Kross Supremes, I think I would still like a wider tire. The Kendas are 35mm, but I am more confident on wider tires. I don’t think I need my 2.1 inch mtb tires, but perhaps a 700x40 or 42 would instill more confidence (especially on the sketchy turns) while still having lower rolling resistance.
Anyway, no more races this year and time for some good old fashioned recreational riding. I plan on assembling a full training plan for the new year with a focus towards the DINO series in the spring and summer. The Access 29er is being taken out of rotation for a while for a complete overhaul. It took a beating this year, especially with the Gravel Grovel and the cross races and I need to address a periodic clunking sound from the headset area. Any mtb rides I go on will be with the Monocog 29er which is easier to maintain with the upcoming snow and ice. Also, I will start building up my full suspension bike in the coming weeks. Just need to gather a few more parts. I had planned to use an older Shimano crankset for this build but last week I ordered a Shimano SLX double ring crankset I found online for a closeout price. Should work well for what I hope will be a bike that will be useful for more technical trails. (i.e. Rangeline in Anderson, Indiana)
Oh, and I pulled trigger and signed for the 36 mile Barry-Roubaix gravel/dirt road race in March. I figure training for that will begin in earnest at the beginning of February. Should be a fun time!


No comments:

Post a Comment