Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mission: Michigan


All packed and ready to head to Michigan for the Barry Roubaix. I have every piece of cycling clothing I own stuffed into a bag and piled by the front door with my shoes and helmet. I’d hate to find out around Fort Wayne that I forgot something, and early morning packing seems to result in such situations. I also realized that this will be my first time in Michigan since graduating law school in 2007. Almost 6 years is too long.
Sentimentality aside, the bike is finalized and ready to roll:


The shifting problems I mentioned in the last post are gone! Turns out the rear quick release was not quite tight enough which messed up the alignment of the rear derailleur. A dumb oversight and a simple fix. I rode the bike to and from work today and it performed great on pavement, crushed limestone, gravel, and hills. Nice to have that resolved. Unfortunately, my wife has been feeling under the weather and I think I might have a touch of her cold as well. The plan is to pop some Nyquil in and get a good night’s sleep.
The plan is to head out tomorrow (Friday) morning with an arrival in Hastings at around 3 pm to pick up my race packet. We’re staying in Kalamazoo so the mission tomorrow night is to find a good restaurant and to scope out a decent breakfast place before heading back to the race.
It should be a great time and a nice kick off to this year’s racing season. I’m in wave 9 (30-34 y.o. 36 miler) which goes off at 10:24 pm. There will be snow and ice, but hopefully everyone rides smartly and we can knock this thing down without any injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment