Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Race week, new frame, and snakes, oh my.

Ok, race week is here and it looks like the weather may actually cooperate. This week’s race will be at the French Lick Resort in French Lick, Indiana. The word is that this is a rain or shine course, so I was operating under the assumption I would be riding in a downpour and three inches of mud. However, the forecast for the next few days is calling for mostly sunny skies, with race day also being clear with a high of 82. Sounds perfect.

The plan is to leave work early on Friday and we’ll drive to FL and stay the night at the West Baden Springs Hotel.  I’m going to get a quick pre-ride in on Friday night and then enjoy the hotel and relax Saturday morning before the race.
I went for a ride this past weekend at Fort Ben and used my geared bike there for the first time in several months. I almost always use my single speed, but want to make sure the geared bike was working well on the more technical Ft. Ben trails (geared bike has been fine at the flat and easy Town Run). All was running smoothly, and even though I felt slower than when I’m on the single speed, my lap times were all personal records per Strava, even with my yielding to hikers and being courteous to slower bikers. My only conclusion from this? I must be really slow on the SS. Anyway, the bike performed flawlessly and I think it is ready for Saturday.
Speaking of the SS, here is the frame for that project:
                               
Not going to win style points, but the Sette Razzo is light, the price was right, and the online reviews are stellar. Plus, it continues my tradition of building off brand bikes, as my geared bike is built on a Performance Access frame. I’ll probably start building it up next week, or as soon as I gather enough courage to dust off my homemade headset pressing device.
Also, since the “Identify this Fungus” game was so much fun a few posts ago, here is a new one: Name that Snake:

Ran into this guy on a paved trail at Ft. Ben. Due to the large number of families out riding, I attempted to usher him off the path, which resulted in numerous strikes on my front wheel. Ultimately I picked it up with a branch and laid him safely in the bushes. I assumed it was a rat snake, but its color seemed off. Anyone know what kind it is?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a Black Rat Snake... and anything with the words "Rat" and "Snake" in their name is not something I hope to come across while riding. The good thing is I think they're pretty much harmless. Good race at French Lick, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aaron! And congrats for the podium place. My rear wheel is pretty messed up after FL so I need to get it rebuilt before Mustcatatuck in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete