Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mountain Bike Season Finale: DINO Southwestway

My second full DINO season is in the books with the completion of the race at Southwestway Park in Indianapolis this weekend. The course was different this year due to extensive new trail construction being performed by HMBA. I went on a course pre-ride the Sunday before the race with a large group consisting of primarily guys from the Matthews Bicycle Shop Team. The ride was a great workout and showcased some of the new trail, as well as the rooty, technical descent which was added this year, (we actually climbed this descent last year….this year flipped things around.)

On Friday I was at a conference for work which ended a bit early so I decided to get one more pre-ride in since the course would be marked for the weekend’s races. I’m glad I did! The course had been changed. A long climb up Mann Hill via a powerline easement was removed, and instead we would be climbing up a recently built flowing downhill. (Note: I went down this trail the Sunday before and it was a blast!) Unfortunately, the combination of a new trail and no recent rain meant this section as going to be very sandy. Actually the entire course was dry and dusty. Slide outs were a concern. Here is my Strava file from the race itself which shows the climbs. Note this was two laps.
Looking at the series standings pre-race,  I found I was in 7th place in Cat 3 and four points behind the first place rider in the 30-39 age group. A bit of math indicated that as long as I didn’t have a major screw up, and finished in the top 12, I would take first. (only the top five races count towards the series and this would be my sixth race which would in turn erase my worst finish at North Vernon back in June) Knowing the same two riders I’ve been going back and forth with all year would be racing, I assembled a loose plan. The idea was to get out in the top three early on and see how everyone was riding. Once we came to the first part of Mann Hill, a steep washed out gravel road, which levels out, and then takes a hard left and becomes even steeper and goes towards the parking lot. Depending on how the other riders were doing, I planned to attack on the steep left hand turn to the parking lot to see if I could gap the other two and drop them.

All smiles prior to the start! Rider in green is Eric Lewis, a Cat 2 rider who
often trades  his geared bike for a single speed. Photo: Beth Bragg
Back to the start line, our group got off to a fast start on a initial ¾ mile gravel road section. Everyone stayed upright despite the dry and loose conditions, although I was force to take a few turns wider than I would have liked. One rider was off the front of the group, although I closed the gap as we entered the woods.
At the start! A bit slower than I would have liked.
Photo: Beth Bragg
Things were going fine and the pace was high, but not unbearably so.  Unfortunately, while in the single track we came up behind a rider from Marian University in the 19-29 group. He crashed on a turn ahead of us and blocked the whole trail. He wasn’t injured, but said he was stuck in the bike. I wasn’t terribly concerned about the delay as everyone was still fairly close. However, one of the riders behind me cut through the brush and got around the delay. The now former first place rider was not happy and had some words with the Marian rider before taking off. Once I got going again I realized the other two had a bit of a gap. I started pushing the pace to catch up.
 
Hitting a downhill to the lower section of the course I found that I had caught up with Mike but Bryan had pulled away. Another rider named Brian (he had raced at French Lick and Versailles) was also close behind me. Hitting the levy I kicked up the pace to catch Bryan and passed Mike. I pushed extremely hard on this section and into the trail section2s along the river but did close the gap and found myself on Bryan’s wheel just before the gravel climb, while the other Brian remained on my wheel.

Hitting the climb we were all in a close line. I was feeling a little worn out and began to think I pushed it too hard earlier in the lap. Nevertheless, I studied Bryan’s back and thought he was having some difficulty on the climb. While my plan had been to attack on the second lap, as we hit the left turn up to the parking lot, I accelerated and passed him. It was cool to hear the crowd react to the attack and I felt good as I turned onto the new trail on Mann Hill.
Just after I made my attack. The small lead I had is dwindling. Photo: Beth Bragg
I continued to push and glanced back to gauge the success of the attack…..and both Bryan and Brian were still behind me. While they had dropped a bit at the onset, they had regained their position on my wheel. So much for that! My glorious attack had failed, a big match burned, with no gain. C'est la vie.
We climbed up the flow trail portion on the other side of the hill and then dropped down the technical descent. At the bottom, the course takes a hard left and then takes a right and drops down a dusty embankment to the parking and on to the finish line. As I hit the dusty right embanked turn, I heard a spectator yell “Be careful on the turn!” a split second too late. At that point my rear tire was already sliding out and down I went.
 
Coming down the technical descent with the chasers close on my wheel.
I was on the ground about 5 seconds after this photo was taken. Photo: Beth Bragg
I contacted on my right knee, hip and elbow. Both Bryan and Brian asked if I was ok, and I told them yes and go ahead. And boy did they. I got up, grabbed my water bottle which was doing its best to roll away into the parking lot and jumped back on the bike.
Unfortunately, Bryan and Brian were pushing it and they had a large gap. Pretty obvious that I wasn’t dictating any pace on the second lap, and had a lot of work ahead of me to catch up. I pushed hard but couldn’t seem to close the gap. I was passed by two 40-49ers who were absolutely blazing. Their speed was amazing. Glad I won’t be racing head to head with them any time soon.
Not sure where is was, but kind of a neat shot between
the trees. Photo: Beth Bragg
Coming up on the gravel climb for the second time I shifted my focus to maintain my position. I knew Mike was still somewhere behind me and I didn’t want to lose third place or drop any farther in the overall. On the flow trail climb I actually spotted Bryan a short ways ahead and thought for a minute I could catch him. However, I think he saw me too because he was gone.

Climbing up the flow trail. It is much more fun to ride it the other way!
Photo: William Snyder
I ended in third place for the age group and 9th overall. I was happy with the result, although could have ridden a better race. First, I should not have attacked on the first climb. That was way premature, but I think my over confidence in my climbing ability (which wasn’t that great that day) and actually the crowd noise kind of fired me up. I should have bided my time and waited until the second lap. Second, I should have drank more. The hour before the race I was sipping a bottle of Heed and took only one bottle for the actual race. This was enough, but while I thought I was drinking enough, at the finish I found I still had half a bottle left. Yikes. 

One technical note, I switched to a Maxxis Crossmark for my rear tire versus my normal Aspen (yes, I like Maxxis tires). The Aspen was getting a little worn and with the dry conditions I wanted to make sure I had grip and a fast rolling tire. I was very happy with the Crossmark. With the exception of the slide out entering the parking lot (I doubt any tire could have saved that one) it was rock solid the entire day.
Series standings came out earlier in the week and I ended up 7th overall and won the 30-39 age group. Overall, I’m happy with the year. I came in hoping to place in my age group in a race and finish top ten in a race. I accomplished this, and won the 30-39, which was not a goal, but still very nice. I feel like I am faster and smarter on the bike. Additionally, I started the season weighing 213 and as I type this weigh in at 198. Hopefully I can maintain this weight and train well over the winter.  A final goal was to evaluate my readiness to move to Cat 2. Winning the age group made that decision for me, but I’m going to have to talk to some Cat 2 folks and troll some message boards to find out how to deal with the increased distance in those races.

I had hoped to do the 6 Hour solo division at the 24 Hours of DINO, but was informed earlier this year that a family reunion had been scheduled for that Saturday, 9/7. Luckily, the DRT Brown County Time Trial scheduled its rain date for 9/8. Everything was working out. Unfortunately, when I received a copy of the reunion invite last week I found that it was scheduled for 9/8.  So the DRT TT is out, and while 24 of DINO could be done, I’m in no shape to ride extended miles. Last year at this time I was already riding longer miles to prepare for the race. I haven’t done anything like that this year and will not have time to prepare before the race. So, it looks like my MTB season is over.
I’m go to enjoy some recreational riding in September and October (I’d like to make it to O’Bannon Woods State Park) and get more time in on the singlespeed. Cyclocross season is starting up, and I’m thinking that I might follow the lead I took for mountain biking and set up a training plan for September and early October to see if I can up my game in that discipline. Of course, I will be racing on my 29er in the Indiana Cyclocross Cup, since I’ve heard the Ohio Vallet CX series frowns upon mtb usage. Luckily, ICX has four races within 30 minutes of me (one race is a 15 minute bike ride from my house). I think I’ll treat these as short track MTB races and train accordingly. Might be kind of fun and would give me an excuse to buy a new drivetrain at the end of the year.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment